Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
Installing the Ruby Enterprise Edition regardless of the preinstalled Ruby
2 Posts
Installing the Ruby Enterprise Edition regardless of the preinstalled Ruby

Great article. Know how to install REE on Windows. Any pointers will be helpful.

http://railsgeek.com/2009/5/6/installing-the-ruby-enterprise-edition-regardless-of-the-preinstalled-ruby

Honestly, no secret that RubyEE much more productive than standard Ruby. Many use it in conjunction with a passenger, that allows to achieve excellent results in the speed of the application, and in doing so to save memory. I'm going to tell about experience of myself. I have a vps with 360 megabytes of RAM, so launching more than 6 projects becomes difficult using mongrel or thin, as these processes are continuously running in memory, regardless of whether the load on the application or not. After I installed mod_rails, I noticed an interesting feature - if anyone application is not used, the process of unloaded from memory, respectively, releasing more memory for other projects loaded. It was a pleasant surprise for me. In the other hand, ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) is more preferable than ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) and other.

So, let's go to install rubyee mod_rails. I want to give a small warning about the system's interpreter of ruby - no need to remove or recomiple from an older version (older repo), because your operating system has a hard dependency within allover packages, and the repository contains the required version of ruby. No need to touch system Ruby.

Let's start with the installation rubyee http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/download.html

You need to install some developers packages in Ubuntu case: sudo apt-get install libssl-dev sudo apt-get install libreadline5-dev

tar xzvf ruby-enterprise-X.X.X.tar.gz ./ruby-enterprise-X.X.X/installer

Ok, you have installed version RubyEE in the directory /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090421/bin/ruby Make symbolic links

sudo ln-s /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090421 /opt/ruby_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/erb /usr/bin/erb_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/gem /usr/bin/gem_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/irb /usr/bin/irb_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/rails /usr/bin/rails_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/rake /usr/bin/rake_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/rdoc /usr/bin/rdoc_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/ri /usr/bin/ri_ee sudo ln -s /opt/ruby_ee/bin/ruby /usr/bin/ruby_ee

Done! Now you have an independent Ruby interpreter, as well as the independent "gem", with its own set of plugins Try to check

ruby -v ruby_ee -v gem list gem_ee list

ruby script/server ruby_ee script/server

Have a joy with Ruby Enterprise Edition!

2 Posts
Login to add your message