Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
Do we need IDE for ROR
18 Posts
Do we need IDE for ROR

i guess if we want rails to be used by more people then we need an IDE, big platforms have it like JAVA and .NET. Rails can only grow if things are made easy for developers to adapt to it, yeh but i understand that we can loose the joy of being a Rubyist (ruby enthusiast)

I've ended up not using anything heavy. GEdit + theme + tree navigator + console - it's more than fine for now. I have a bit of trouble adjusting since it's all new to me, but it does feel right. Best part is comunity, I had trouble installing TabNav plugin, and the guy that made it helped me himself.. now that's nice :)

Well Guys, Actually we don't need to use any ID's for ROR programming. We can use simple text editors or vi editors(linux). By this way, we can do fast development. We should not waste our time to install heavy Editors like Aptana, Netbeans etc.

I don't like IDEs for Rails development. Emacs, TextMate, GEdit are more then enough.

-fm

I am learning Ruby/Rails and I run Linux, most of the time Ubuntu. I have downloaded and used NetBeans a bit... but I always use gEdit (with plenty of plugins) or Vim, various command line tools, and the Firefox Add-on "SQLite Manager" to get at my data. It all works perfectly for my needs.

Personally, I use Netbeans when I know I will spend whole day developing Rails app. But when there are only small fixes to be done, or specs to be run I just start console, vim, and this works great :). I also use console for SCM, hover you'd find pretty good support for this in NB too (Git via 3rd party plugin).

I have recently posted the first of a set of posts talking about Emacs. The first post http://blog.wyeworks.com/2009/3/23/emacs-cvs-installation explains the basic installation from the CVS repository. In the following posts I'll be showing how to add some plugins (ecb, rinari, nxhtml, yasnippets, autocomplete among others) to Emacs aiming to get the most enhanced installation of Emacs for Ruby on Rails development. Stay tunned.

Hello, personnally back to development after 20 years,I do use an IDE (netbeans 6.5) because I am not fond of command line and think Netbeans do the job pretty well (except for some specific tasks)

Nicolas

Hey, i did't know that you don't get mail when someone comments on your post in this forum :) So basicly I am on to something when I say that IDE is not bringing extra value to ROR development. I am messing with gEdit myself and I find it quite ok. I didn't try TextMate so I don't know what I am missing. But for me there is something cool in just typing stuff out of your head, and not autocompleting all the time....

Hmmmm, I am also agreed with others.

I am working on ROR from more than 2 years and I also never used any IDE. If you are working on Mac. you have TextMate- the ultimate player. If you are working on linux- emacs and gedit are very good. Now, good news for windows players as well they can use e-text editor[copy of textmate for windows], Notepad++ for development.

For being a rails developer I don't think that i need any IDE help for svn, git or gem maintenance etc........

18 Posts
Login to add your message