Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
What OS do you ROR developers use?
What OS do you ROR developers use?

OSX Leopard for my laptop (Textmate as well :p ). Servers are running Ubuntu and Debian

I develop on a MacBook running Leopard, and deploy to various Linux servers (ubuntu, gentoo, SuSE and Redhat).

I'm using TextMate here for my Rails development. I leave Eclipse for Java work (are you allowed to mention the J word here? :) ).

I've tried the rails support in Netbeans and Aptana Radrails but I found it too slow as I'm used to a plain text editor now.

@Housni Y: your question made me do some research... Microsoft claims that NTFS doesn't work well when you got multiple OSs. Thing is, I access and write to my Windows XP NTFSpartition from Kubuntu all the time. why should he be using FAT32?

I use Debian Gnu/Linux distribution for ROR development.

Ubuntu. By far the best. OS X is pretty good, though I find some bits of OS X annoying.

OSX w/ Textmate since 3+ yrs :D

I've used Ubuntu and Mac OS to develop RoR applications. For development, I like OS X and Textmate. Deployment is a whole other story though, with Linux being king.

For the last couple of years, it's been developing on OS X and deploying to Ubuntu servers. Haven't hit any showstopping glitches yet!

Was Windows, now a linux convertee. Ubuntu kicks ass.

I am currently using Arch Linux, a lightweight Linux distribution with an excellent package manager.

Despite previous experience with Linux on the desktop, I tried for the longest to set up a comfortable Ruby development enviroment under Vista, only to fail repeatedly. I used tricks such as Cygwin, running Linux under Virtual PC and in VmWare, or running the development enviroment under Linux and accessing it remotely. In the end I got tired and installed Linux again. I also got frustrated by Microsoft's apparent ignorant stance toward power users. A command line which doesn't make me want to bang my head in the table? Hello! It's not asking for much..

Might consider OS X one day, but don't feel comfortable with the whole Mac package deal thing.

I might add that I actually like bits and pieces of Vista. :).

Login to add your message