Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
What OS do you ROR developers use?
54 Posts
What OS do you ROR developers use?

I'm just curious as to what OS most of you ROR developers use.

Just state what OS you use/have used.

I use Ubuntu Linux for all my work. I occasionally develop on a remote BSD server. I also have a Windows machine which I use when I have to work with an audio program.

btw, does this forum have a poll feature?

I use windows 2003 Server( 64 bit ), it is doing good

I don't think WWR has poll feature now, but I am sure it will be in the list of new features to be added to the site.

Person
Forum Rating: 100
Sign In To Rate Post

I use * Mac OS X Tiger (90% of my time) * Ubuntu (Hardy release 64bit) (10% of my time)

The thought of having to go back to windows (& Cygwin) makes me wince now.

ubuntu with the drive shared onto my windows machine(s). So all actual coding is done in windows.. but the dev server is ubuntu.

I use Mac OS and Linux for ROR development.

I currently use Mac OS X for all of my ROR development, but I deploy all application to GNU/Linux (Debian) or Ubuntu distributions for production. I have also used Debian in the past to develop applications, but I think one of the main reasons people use (or even buy) Mac OSX is because of the TextMate editor.

@Tim Watson, Do you share it accross a common FAT32 partition?

@Josh Martin, Have you tried vim? TextMate looks great too but I can't try it out since I don't own a Mac thought I'm looking to get Mac Laptop soon

My setup is much like Josh's. I dev on my MacBook and run a dev server using ubuntu on ec2. I have tried going back to windows occasionally, when I'm at a clients without the option of using my laptop, but TextMate is a deal breaker. Nothing else even comes close to comparing to it. I'll use vim remotely via a shell, but I'm too productive on TM to switch to any windows editor, ever.

I've also become hooked on a quicksilver and visor mix. For terminal and opening other programs there is nothing better or more effective that I have ever used at least.

I develop on a Windows XP at work using Aptana and I use OS X now freelance. I'm still using Aptana right now but I just downloaded Textmate so we'll see how that goes. I currently deploy on Centos.

I use Mac OS Leopard and Textmate and I deploy to Debian Etch. I still want to try out Netbeans for Rails development but I haven't gotten around to it yet ;-)

54 Posts
Login to add your message