Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
Should we use member variable in Given clause
2 Posts
Should we use member variable in Given clause

Hi,

I'm new to BDD and wonder if which one below is better:

Approach 1 - use member variable Given /my group has "([\"]*)" worker$/ do |worker_login| @worker = Factory.create(:worker,:login => worker_login, :worker_groups => @leader.worker_groups) end

When /I navigate to "([\"]*)" page$/ do |worker_login| visit worker_path(@worker) end

Approach 2 Given /my group has "([\"]*)" worker$/ do |worker_login| Factory.create(:worker, :login => worker_login, :worker_groups => @leader.worker_groups) end

When /I navigate to "([\"]*)" page$/ do |worker_login| worker = Worker.find_by_login(worker_login) visit worker_path(worker) end

Thanks for your help! Lam

I guess the answer is it depends. The first approach keeps your features cleaner and may be a little bit faster (less db queries). The second is more explicit and helps to avoid collisions that are hard to debug (when you accidentally overwrite the instance variable in some step). I personally use the first approach most of the time. But sometimes I need the feature to be explicit and I use the second one.

2 Posts
Login to add your message