Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
One url with multiple controllers
5 Posts
One url with multiple controllers

bq. redirect_to admin_post_path and return false if current_user.admin

Omar, that was a gorgeous example of Rails code and is a perfect example of why I love the language. Just a side note. ;)

you could redirect to admin/posts using a before_filter.

something like

redirect_to admin_post_path and return false if current_user.admin

The routes shouldn't really have any logic in them other than routing logic, e.g checking what path information was supplied and then redirecting you to the appropriate controller / action

Francisco, that would definitely work in some cases, but in mine I really need to have a separate controller when certain conditions are meant. It would be great if the :conditions on the route maps allowed you more options than just :method!

Hi Tom

Why isn't it possible to use the same controller and conditional views?

I mean, wouldn't it be easier and more standard to use helpers and conditions within views than calling a different controller?

If you need different methods to be executed depending on user roles, you could call the same controller and define it like this one:

class Posts < ApplicationController

def index

#do common stuff

if user.role == 'admin'
  admin_index
else
  user_index
end

end

private def admin_index

#admin methods to be executed

end

def user_index

#user methods

end

end

Remember to test your views, in case you call any variable that's not defined in both actions.

Hope it helps.

Lets say that I want to have one url that can map to two different controllers. For example /posts could map to controller 'public/ posts' or to the controller 'admin/posts' based on whether or not the user has logged in. This isn't a great example because I could just use the url '/admin/posts', but in my scenario the url has to be the same.

I was hoping to use a before_filter to either render one action or the other. It looks like render_component would have let me accomplish this, but it has been deprecated.

Thanks! Tom

5 Posts
Login to add your message