Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
how to install twitter4r
3 Posts
how to install twitter4r

Hai there

This is santosh kumar working on rails. I am unable to install twitter4r.

i used the command "gem install twitter4r" and i got the following error C:>gem install twitter4r Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing twitter4r:

ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install twitter4r creating Makefile

nmake 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json-1.1.3 for inspection. Results logged to C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json-1.1.3/ext/json/ext/parser/gem_make.out

C:>gem install twitter4r-0.3.0 ERROR: could not find gem twitter4r-0.3.0 locally or in a repository

C:>

what should i do to get it installed properly

Thanks in advance

This gem, and many others, has a native extension meaning that some of the code for this gem needs to be compiled for your operating system (probably, for Windows, as a DLL). In order to do this the @gem@ tool is trying to run @nmake@ which is (skipping a few steps) sort of like the @gem@ tool but for compiled languages like C and C++.

So (assuming "Installing a real operating system" isn't an option) you have two options here:

Install a compiler, "like Microsoft Visual Studio Express":http://microsoft.com/express/ which is free from Microsoft.

Find a pre-compiled version of twitter4r which is linked against the same libraries (probably Ruby version is most critical there) as are on your own system.

The first option will also solve this same problem for other gems that require native extensions to be built, and many other things as well.

For Quick solution to use json 1.1.3 or later gem in Windows, you have to install "json_pure" gem. This is mostly similar to use the json gems.

Just install it by "gem install json_pure" and uninstall the json gems. Now continue with your work, confidently.

P.S: Use gem install json -v 1.1.1 (version 1.1.1 is the only one that works on windows at time of posting, json_pure doesn't work with rails 2.3)

3 Posts
Login to add your message