Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
Ruby/Rails as a front end for Lotus Domino
2 Posts
Ruby/Rails as a front end for Lotus Domino

Firstly, I am not a Ruby on Rails user at all. My company have a Lotus Domino based web application and we are looking at updating the web interface while keeping the Domino back-end. We are considering various options for this and some colleagues mentioned why not look at Ruby on Rails. I've done the basic searching to figure what Ruby on Rails is about but when I look at Domino links etc.. I don't find much evidence of this type of application for it. Has anyone any experience of developing a web interface for a Domino database using Ruby on Rails? I know it's a very general question but I'm really coming from the starting point of "Ruby on Rails not being an appropriate tool" and just want to see if anyone in the rails community has any comments to change this opinion. Thanks in advance. John C

Short answer: doesn't look like it. I notice a couple of attempts to do it, with what sounds like reasonable success, but the only evidence of this is http://ianconnor.blogspot.com/2007/06/ruby-on-rails-domino-active-record.html - nothing more recent than 2007, and comments stating that they could not access it. Having contributed to (heavily customised) Domino websites in the past, it's an interesting concept, but I would suggest that other technologies might be better. Good luck!

2 Posts
Login to add your message