Welcome to Working With Rails

Discussion Forums

Discuss all things Ruby on Rails with perhaps the web's most vibrant group of Ruby on Rails enthusiasts.
Need help creating an advanced plugin
2 Posts
Need help creating an advanced plugin

My advice would be to try Mislav's will_paginate plugin http://github.com/mislav/will_paginate

Hy,

I'm more or less new to rails and I'm trying to make a plugin that gives some extra methods to the model. These methods will be different, here is an example of how it would be used in the model:

class Image < ActiveRecord::Base # these are the default options for the find method tottys_paginate :comments, {:conditions => 'bla bla', :from => 'comments AS c'} tottys_paginate :images, {:conditions => 'bla bla', :order => 'bla bla', :from => 'images AS i'}

def example

# these conditions are only for this query and will be merged with the default options, setted before.
  comments = self.comments_tpaginate({:conditions => 'bla bla', :select => 'c.id, c.created_at...'})

images = self.images_tpaginate({:conditions => 'bla bla', :select => 'i.id, i.created_at...'})

end end

how can i make the structure of the plugin in order to work this way?

i made this plugin until like this but i dont know how to have separate default options for comments and for images and then merge them when i call the eval methods(comments_tpaginate OR images_tpaginate)

module TottysPaginate

def self.included(base)

base.send :extend, ClassMethods

end

module ClassMethods

def tottys_paginate(target, default_options)
  empty_options = { :select => '',
                    :conditions => '',
                    :from => '',
                    :order => '',
                    :limit => '',
                    :offset => ''}

@default_options = empty_options.update(default_options) if default_options.is_a?(Hash)

ActiveRecord::Base.send :include, TottysPaginate::InstanceMethods      

class_eval &lt; !o[:count_conditions].blank? ? o[:count_conditions] : ( !o[:select_conditions].blank? ? o[:select_conditions] : o[:conditions]), 
                  # count from OR select from OR from
                  :from => !o[:count_from].blank? ? o[:count_from] : (!o[:select_from].blank? ? o[:select_from] : o[:from]))
  end

# if we pass the offset, will be use that offset
  o[:offset] = !o[:offset].blank? ? o[:offset] : o[:limit].to_i * ( o[:current_page].to_i - 1 )

# convert current_page to a number
  if(o[:current_page]) then o[:current_page] = o[:current_page].to_i end

# select items
  o[:data] = self.class.find(:all,
                :select => o[:select],
                # select conditions OR conditions
                :conditions => !o[:select_conditions].blank? ? o[:select_conditions] : o[:conditions],
                # select from OR from
                :from => !o[:select_from].blank? ? o[:select_from] : o[:from],
                :limit => o[:limit],
                :offset => o[:offset],
                :order => o[:order])
  o
end

end end

ActiveRecord::Base.send :include, TottysPaginate

Person
wdp
Sign In To Rate Post